Saturday, September 19, 2009

NFL picks and preview: Week 2

No story this week, I'm just going to dive right into the picks:
Home Team in CAPS

Oakland (+3) over KANSAS CITY
This game could easily go either way. I don't like either team, I like KC even less if Cassel can't go for a second straight week. Oakland looked pretty good against San Diego last week. I'll take the points.

TENNESSEE (-6.5) over Houston
Houston did not look good against the Jets defense last week and they don't get a reprieve here against the Titans. It is a very important game for both teams, I just think the Titans are better, and should win this one by running the ball all over the Texans, like the Jets did last week. Look for a big game from Chris Johnson.

New England (-3.5) over NEW YORK JETS
Everyone is jumping all over the Jets this weekend after the way they played last week and the way the Patriots struggled. The more people jump on a team, the more I like to stay away, and feel like all the talk that the Jets have done up to know will work against them. Tom Brady will be motivated to kill this team. Points will be scored by both, but the Pats will win and cover a line that has moved a lot since it first came out.

GREEN BAY (-9) over Cincinnati
You know by now how good I think Green Bay is. This game doesn't scare me. Cincinnati is not a good football team and Green Bay should put up a lot of points on them. They couldn't hold off a lowly Denver team (albeit on a miracle play), I certainly can't see them hanging with Green Bay.

Minnesota (-9.5) over DETROIT
I have gone back and forth with this one and I was very tempted to take the Lions, but I just can't. Adrian Peterson will probably have a 3 touchdown game at minimum. I think it could be a 10 point game, but even that wouldn't cover. I have to go with the better team in this one, the Lions aren't getting enough.

ATLANTA (-6) over Carolina
A lot has been made about this game and how the line has moved a lot in Atlanta's favor since Carolina through a stink bomb last week. I just like this Atlanta team that much better and don't really care. The Falcons showed a good defense last week and Carolina could do nothing to stop the Eagles. I'm taking the Falcons at home.

WASHINGTON (-10) over St. Louis
St. Louis is very, very bad. Shut out against Seattle last week, I can't see them faring any better against the Skins. Not that the Redskins are some amazing team, but St. Louis could be historically bad. They can't do anything right.

JACKSONVILLE (-3.5) over Arizona
The curse of the Super Bowl loser continues on the road against Jacksonville for the Arizona Cardinals. This is probably the game I would least like to watch, because I think its just going to be an ugly game that isn't very fun to watch. MJD dominates, Jacksonville controls the clock, and wins out over the visiting Cards.

Baltimore (+3) over SAN DIEGO
Another game that I think could go either way. Usually when that happens, I'll be taking the points. San Diego didn't look good against the Raiders last week, and I think Baltimore is much better than them. The fact that LT can't play is just another blow to the Chargers. Another game that should be very ugly.

DENVER (-3) over Cleveland
I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of what happened against Cincinnati. Denver wins against a team even worse than them, making them the worst 2-0 team by far. Cleveland is the only team that will challenge the Rams for basement team of the year.

Pittsburgh (-3) over CHICAGO
I don't think its too much to say that the defending champs can pull off a more than 3 point win over a Chicago team who's quarterback looked awful last week against Green Bay. I just don't see how Chicago is going to move the ball against Pittsburgh. The loss of Urlacher hurts their defense as well. This is not a Bears team that I can back right now, especially against the Steelers.

DALLAS (-3) over New York Giants
You should know my dislike of the Giants by now. I just don't think they are very good. Dallas had an offense that completely clicked last week and their defense is solid too. Plus it is the debut of their brand new, 105 thousand seat stadium. I think the Cowboys win fairly easily.

Indianapolis (-3) over MIAMI
I don't love either team, but I think Miami is terrible. Peyton Manning to Reggie Wayne is a connection that we will be hearing a lot in this one. I don't know how Miami is going to move the ball. Take Indy.

Second Runner Up Lock of the Week:
BUFFALO (-4.5) over Tampa Bay
Buffalo looked awfully good against New England, and they didn't even get TO or Lee Evans involved. I think they are a much better team than Tampa Bay. At home, I don't think this one will be particularly close. Fred Jackson has a huge game.

First Runner Up Lock of the Week:
New Orleans (-1.5) over PHILADELPHIA
As much as I love the Eagles this year, they just took a huge hit losing Donovan McNabb. Without Kevin Kolb as their starter, I really can't see them beating a very talented Saints team. Their only hope is to keep this game low scoring, and I don't think their defense is quite good enough to stop Drew Brees and his array of weapons. New Orleans takes this game, and it will be by more than a point.

LOCK OF THE WEEK:
Seattle (+1) over SAN FRANCISCO
This is basically me saying that Seattle is a better team than San Fransisco. The one point line is basically just a pick game, and I would take Seattle all day in this game. I think they are the best team in their division, and even though San Fransisco could be better than I thought they were, I still don't think they are as good as Seattle. The Seahawks use their passing offense to power past the 49ers.

Last Week: 11-5

No comments:

Post a Comment