Friday, January 22, 2010

Help Me New Orleans Saints, You're My Only Hope

With both of the teams I picked to go to the Super Bowl knocked out, and having some level of disgust for three of the teams remaining in the Super Bowl hunt, the New Orleans Saints have become my last saving grace for a rooting interest in the Super Bowl.

Lets start by breaking down the other three teams, in order of least amount of hatred, to most:

The New York Jets- Definitely my least amount of hatred of the three, but being a Red Sox fan, its just hard for me to root from any team from New York. I hate New York. I hate the people, I hate the city, they are arrogant and treat most people like lesser human beings and this team embodies the city. Rex Ryan has been cocky from day one since showing up in New York, bringing a bravado that this city embraces. If the Jets seemed more humble, I'd have less of a problem rooting for them. I also only picked them to win three games this year, so they have that working against them. But I will definitely be cheering for them to beat the...

Indianapolis Colts- a team that I have hated for many years, as they are the Titans division rivals. I respect the hell out of Peyton Manning, but that doesn't mean I have to like him. I've had to watch them succeed while the Titans have failed and I'm getting sick of it. Not to mention this team gave the old "F you!" to their fans by deciding not to pursue an undefeated season and laying down in the last two games. And that just screams of cowardice to me. Any team that shows that kind of blatant disregard for their fans is not ok in my book. Speaking of blatant disregard for fans...

Minnesota Vikings- not a disregard to Vikings fans, but disregard to Packers fans for Brett Favre. The greatest slap in the face from one player to his legions of devoted fans in the history of professional sports. How can anyone root for this guy? Never mind all the gushing we've had to put up with over the years from John Madden and just about every other analyst. If this guy wins a Super Bowl, it will be like dropping an atomic bomb on the state of Wisconsin. I have hated him ever since his first flip flopping show when he went and signed with the Jets, but that was nowhere near as much of an atrocity as what he has done this year with division rival Minnesota. I don't particularly have anything against this team, but as long as Favre is their QB, I will be pulling as hard as I can against them. And does anyone really want to deal with the media frenzy for two weeks that will come from a Favre Super Bowl? Which is why I say that my only hope this year, for a Super Bowl that I can enjoy, are the New Orleans Saints.

The New Orleans Saints have been a long suffering franchise that has never won a Super Bowl, and is only a few years removed from the tragedy of Hurricane Katrina. They have a quarterback in Drew Brees that I have loved for a long time, that I think throws the prettiest ball in football, and needs to validate himself in the eyes of everyone that thinks you have done nothing until you have a ring. They have an outstanding fanbase and they show it every time they are at home in the Super Dome. This is a team I can get behind.

So of course, just based on the fact that I want them to win so bad, and would feel so dirty that I couldn't live with myself, I am picking the Saints (-3.5) to handle the Vikings this weekend.

And on the other side, I'm taking the Jets (+8) to upset the Colts. The Jets, on paper, should lose this game. But on paper, the Packers should have beaten the Cardinals, and the Bengals and Chargers also should have beaten the Jets. This team has the football Gods on their side. The Colts are the team that laid down in their first matchup, allowing this very Jets team to make the playoffs, and go on this run. All they had to do was actually try to win in week 16, and the Jets do not even make the postseason. This is really bad Karma. On top of that, everyone will be backing the Colts in this game, which hasn't been a good thing so far this year (actually, it never is, this is why Vegas stays in business). So because of this, I am picking the Jets, with the Karmic Gods on their side, to knock out the Colts, who chose to let them into the playoffs.

Jets. Saints. Super Bowl XLIV. And you know who I'll be rooting for. Who Dat!

1 comment:

  1. Classic...
    ME: Dont say anything for the next 10 seconds
    YOU: Who Dat!!!!

    GO Vikings!!! As a life long Vikings fan, my feeling towards Farve can be described exactly the same way as your relationship to Manning. Conference foes, sick of getting beat up by the same guy, but at the same time a healthy respect to an obvious talent. My point of view up till about week 3 was, "I don’t like farve, but he's better than Tavaras Jackson". Then they beat San Francisco with that 32 yard pass to greg lewis with 2 seconds left in the game, and my acceptance of brett farve turned to a level of excitement and appreciation that my team has him. brett farve is a competitor who wants to win. He is only one man though in a sport that exemplifies the value and importance of TEAM. He wanted to play for a TEAM where he would fit in with and compete for a superbowl. Minnesota was the perfect fit. Of course he doesn’t forget or not appreciate the fan base that supported him so much his entire career; but I feel his liking to the Vikings had nothing to do with trying to stick it to the packer’s fans and everything to do with the fact he fit best there. Yes the green bay front office had a hand in running farve outta town, but the green bay fan shouldn’t be upset with farve, they should be upset at the front office for not recognizing the talent that farve still had in the tank. I just feel that it isn’t such a big deal as a green bay fan to see farve attempt to win another superbowl with their rival. Of course no good green bay fan is pulling for the Vikings, but it should be because of the rivalry of the teams, not because farves participation. I feel that if Peyton manning went to the titans, and the same results as farves jersey change happened, you could understand the level of excitement that I have for the guy.
    Go Vikings in your pursuit of your first superbowl win in franchise history. These Saints have the second strongest home field advantage, in my opinion (second to the 9-0 Vikings).
    And in the AFC common sense prevails over every BS story line or bout of karma out there. The colts literally decide each week weather or not they want to win, I feel bad for the colt fan who could be 17-0, but this week they are going to win.

    ReplyDelete