Thursday, January 14, 2010

NFL Playoffs: Round 2

Ever been punched in the stomach? I was this weekend. Now the Packers, who I have steadfastly supported all year long, were in the process of being blown out. I'm sure you all watched as they crawled back into the game, using skill and outstanding play calling that included a brilliant onside kick. Greg Jennings made a couple of circus catches that kept them in the game. But all of this was just a set up for the stomach punch.

After tying the game and forcing overtime (after Rackers missed a 34 yard field goal attempt that would have won it for the Cardinals, the ultimate tease) the Packers had the ball. Well, we all know what happened. A tuck rule type fumble that was kicked up inadvertently into the air by Aaron Rodgers, intercepted and returned for the winning score. Crazy. Now of course, 2 plays earlier the refs misses a helmet to helmet hit call on the QB. That very play they missed a very obvious facemask call. Did the Cardinals deserve to win that game? Yes, absolutely. Both teams played their hearts out (well the offenses anyway), the problem wasn't who won, its how it happened. It was completely gut-wrenching, and it could have been averted, if everything was made reviewable by the NFL. They are afraid of slowing down the game. I am afraid of not getting the call right. Which do you think fans are more concerned with?

So with that, the Packers were eliminated. I will take a good long look at this team and might very well pick them again next year. I just think they are set up for greatness. They had a championship caliber team, but injuries and a stomach punch game were all it took to knock them off. Such is the case with any NFL team, and that's why they play the games. On to round 2.

Ravens at Colts

I am going to be rooting for the Ravens the rest of the way, which I think will probably only last this game. I have a huge man-crush on Ray Rice, love Flacco, Derrick Mason is an ex-Titan that I have a ton of respect for and I hate the Colts. Of course I am going to be pulling for this team! However, unless the Colts suffer from the "rust" side of the rest vs rust argument, I think they will be able to win the game. But it should be closer than people think. I'll take the points, Ravens (+7).

Jets at Chargers

I have to say the Chargers will win the Super Bowl now. I could only have seen Green Bay stopping them and now, its time for Phillip Rivers, LT and the gang to get their Super Bowl. I think they roll through the Jets by bombarding them all day with their aerial attack. Chargers (-9).

Cowboys at Vikings

This is the marquis matchup of the weekend. I can't wait for it. The Cowboys got the big playoff monkey off their back and prove to be one of the hottest teams in football. On the other side, Minnesota stumbled into the playoffs and who knows how well Favre is holding up. I hate to root for the Cowboys, but I hate Brett Favre even more. I'm going with the hot hand of Tony Romo over old Brett. Cowboys (+3)

Cardinals at Saints

This one could be just as much of a shootout as the Packers/Cardinals game of last week. I don't really know who to pick, so I will stick with my theory of riding the hot hand and take the Cardinals. I don't think there will be a hangover from the week before. If anything, they will be fired up. I don't know if they can win, I think so, but I'm not certain. Either way it will be close, and they are getting 7 points, so I am all over Cardinals (+7).

That will do it for me this week. See you around next week for the Championship round! And of course, the Super Bowl in 3 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment