Friday, January 8, 2010

The Playoffs

After that BS "championship" game in college football last night, I am just so eager for some real football. I'm pumped up for Wildcard Weekend. If anyone wants to know how I did in week 17 for picks, I went 7-9. But enough about that, here is my big Playoff Preview...

AFC Round 1

Ravens at Patriots


The Patriots are 3 point favorites at home against the Ravens, but with the loss of Wes Welker, their best player all season, I have to take the Ravens in this game. I like this Ravens team a lot. I like Flacco as a promising young QB on the rise and Ray Rice is an absolute stud. I can't see the Patriots stopping Rice for 4 quarters, not with their defensive problems. Although the Ravens defense isn't what it used to be, it is still pretty damn good. If Welker was healthy, I think it would be a different story, but Belichick made the bonehead decision to start his starters in a meaningless game. If they were going for undefeated, you play them, if not, you rest them. That game meant nothing, and I think it very well might have cost them their season.

Jets at Bengals

Two teams that I don't really feel deserve to be here, and either one doesn't have a chance in round two, which makes it tough to pick. The Bengals are at home and are 3 point favorites, but again, I like the underdog. I'm not going to factor in the Jets beating down the Bengals last week, because I don't think the Bengals were trying, but the Jets are just playing far superior football. The Bengals have not played well in a long time. The Jets do have a rookie quarterback, and that is a very strong negative factor, but what do the Bengals do that is really good? They have one receiver who will be locked down by Revis. They have a banged up running back and a banged up defense. I just can't see them putting up any points. The Jets have my pick, despite Mark Sanchez.

NFC Round 1

Eagles at Cowboys

I want to pick the Eagles. They have been one of my favorite teams all year long. The Cowboys have a really bad track record in opening round games. It is difficult to beat a team three in a row in the same season. The Eagles have Desean Jackson who can beat anyone by himself. I just can't take this Cowboys team under Wade Phillips in the playoffs until they show me something. They can both put up a lot of points, and it should stay close, but I can't go against one of my favorites this whole year, despite Dallas' success against them this year. The Eagles get my pick at +4.

Packers at Cardinals

If you have been following me all season, you should know that I have picked the Packers in every week of the season. I am a Titans fan, but Green Bay has been my adopted team all year. I picked them to win the Super Bowl. I bet them to win the Super Bowl before the season. I think they are an excellent team that can beat anyone. They can score on the ground and through the air. Their O-Line is playing much better in the second half of the season. Aaron Rodgers has developed as the season has gone on, and is taking fewer sacks and making better decisions. They are the hottest team in the NFC. I love the Packers, despite the fact that they are playing a very good Cardinals team. I can't jump ship now.

AFC Round 2

Ravens at Colts
Jets at Chargers


I don't think either of these games are particularly close. The Jets get blown out and the Ravens lose by a touchdown. The Colts and Chargers are just so much better than everyone else in the AFC. I hope this happens, because it should be a terrific game

NFC Round 2

Eagles at Saints

This is where I think the Eagles run out of steam. I know the Saints have struggled, but they are almost exactly like the Eagles, only a little better at everything. Saints prove their season wasn't a total fluke.

Packers at Vikings

You know what I'm going to say here. I can't pick against my Packers and it is a joyous occasion to pick against Brett Favre. The Packers were humiliated in their last matchup, but this is a completely different Packers team. Favre is falling off the map just as he did last year. The story is very different in the third meeting. Rodgers gets his own vindication.

AFC Championship

Chargers at Colts


I have to take the hot hand, the Chargers, to dismantle the Colts. This is where the fact that the Colts chose to lose their edge in the final two weeks that it hurts them. It will be impossibly difficult for anyone to beat this Chargers team. They just do everything well. The x factor, of course, is Peyton Manning. He is so good under pressure and can will his team to win. He is the best player in the league at this point and is the clear-cut MVP. If they are going to beat the balance of the Chargers, their leader has to come up big, and he definitely can. I think the Chargers win a very close game.

NFC Championship

Packers at Saints

If someone knocks off the Packers, it will be the Saints. However, I don't see it happening. They are just so hot at the right time. What more can I really say about them? I love the team, and I can't pick against them.

The Super Bowl

Packers vs. Chargers


I can't express to you how excited I would be about this game. The Chargers would be a pretty nice sized favorite. The Packers would be the fiery underdog. I'd have a lot to gain by the Packers winning (both in pride and in money). It would give me something to root for. Norv Turner could ruin the season for the Chargers. I think the teams match up evenly across the board. Lots of points would be scored. The two best young quarterbacks in the game, who are going to carry the league for quite a few years. It would just be an outstanding game that comes down to Rivers vs. Rodgers, and I like Rodgers. Packers win. I stick with my preseason pick. I can't wait to watch, and I bet you can't either!

No comments:

Post a Comment