Saturday, September 11, 2010

Week 1 Picks

Here's the drill, same as last year. I will be picking each NFL game, against the spread. I will include My Lock of the Week, as well as two runners-up. Are you ready for some football???

Home team in Caps

Detroit (+6.5) over CHICAGO

I like the Lions to come out firing right from the start, and to actually win this game. The Bears aren't that good, and in a shoootout like this projects to be, I'm taking the points on the rising team.

NEW ENGLAND (-4.5) over Cincinnati

There will be points scored in this one, as their will be in every New England game this season, but I believe their dynamic offense will prove too much for the Bengals, who I truly believe are in for a step back this season. Their defense isn't good enough to make up for the disparity between their offense and New England's.

Carolina (+6.5) over NEW YORK GIANTS

I like Carolina better than the Giants this season, and they are getting 6.5 points, so of course I am going to take them. Looks like the Giants are going to be overrated once again, and I am going to enjoy watching them wallow in mediocrity. Panthers take it on the road.

Atlanta (-2.5) over PITTSBURGH

A good team vs a good team without its starting quarter back? I'll take the team that isn't starting Dennis Dixon. Its really that simple.

Cleveland (+3) over TAMPA BAY

A strategy that I found to be very useful last season, and I don't plan on straying from this year, if two horrendous teams are matched up against each other, just take the points. Thats what I will do here with Cleveland over the Bucs.

JACKSONVILLE (-2.5) over Denver

I'm interested in this game because while I don't think either team is going to be good, I don't quite have a handle on them either. I'll take the home team here in week one, but there will be much to be learned in this game.

Indianapolis (-2.5) over HOUSTON

Like I said in the preview, until you prove you can beat the best teams, Houston, I can't pick you in these games. I have to take a stocked and ready Indianapolis team in this one. Only giving 2.5 is a gift.

ST. LOUIS (+4) over Arizona

Why not? Do I think they will win? No, not really. But hey, I think both teams have a very good chance at being atrocious, so once again, I'm just going to take the points.

Green Bay (-3) over PHILADELPHIA

When do I not pick Green Bay? What can I say I just love this team, and I think its going to be a great statement game in week one against the Eagles on the road. Aaron Rodgers is not going to let Kevin Kolb beat him. No way.

Dallas (-3.5) over WASHINGTON

Dallas may have looked bad in preseason, but at least their 100 million dollar defensive tackle isn't practicing with the scout team! McNabb is limping, and I just don't think Washington is in the same league as Dallas, but we'll find out Sunday night.

Baltimore (+2.5) over NEW YORK JETS

Rex takes on his old team, and he has given Ray Lewis and the Ravens more than enough motivation to want to kick his ass. Expect a grind it out battle of the young running backs, but Baltimore is just a better team. They have a much more balanced attack. With two great defenses on the field, I'll take the QB and RB combo I trust, in Flacco and Rice. Should be a fun game though.

KANSAS CITY (+4.5) over San Diego

Remember how I mentioned that the rest of the AFC West has gotten better? I'm displaying that opinion here, and saying that Kansas City will not only cover, but BEAT San Diego in the second Monday night game. I think it is going to take San Diego a little while to get in sync this season, with the rookie Running back and no Vincent Jackson. I still think they will be very good, but I think the opportunity is right there for a young and building Kansas City team to score a pretty nice upset in this one.

Second Runner Up Lock of the Week:

Miami (-3) over BUFFALO

This is just an incredibly easy pick for me. I don't care that Miami has to travel to Buffalo. If it were December, that might be a factor, but not in week 1. Miami is just a much better team, and to cover three points shouldn't be a problem for them at all.

First Runner Up Lock of the Week:

TENNESSEE (-6.5) over Oakland

This is almost too easy. Vegas doesn't realize how good the Titans are yet, and are overrating Oakland here. They still might be without their number one running back and I just don't see how they can stop Chris Johnson. Look for Tennessee to run all over them in an easy victory at home.

LOCK OF THE WEEK:

San Fransisco (-3) over SEATTLE

Really? Just three points? I know Seattle is historically a tough place to play, but really?? JUST THREE POINTS? San Fransisco rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment