Saturday, September 25, 2010

Week 3 Picks

After this week, there will be a full set of Power Rankings. I promise. Between time constraints and the fact that two weeks can't tell us much anyway, they just can't be done before this Sunday. But starting next week there will be two columns a week, power rankings, along with the usual picks. Enjoy your week 3 picks for now!

Lines courtesy of sportsbetting.com

Home team in CAPS

Tennessee (+3) over NEW YORK GIANTS

I'm not terribly confident either way in this one, so I will take my team. The Giants got SMOKED last week by the Colts, and the Titans were shut down on offense by a surprisingly outstanding Pittsburgh defense (more on that later). It will be a very interesting game, to see if either of these teams are for real.

NEW ENGLAND (-14.5) over Buffalo

Its a TON of points, but Tom Brady comes back huge after just about every bad game he has had in his career. Its like clockwork. I expect an offensive show out of the pats, through the air and on the ground. Green Bay covered 13 easily last week, I see the same for New England here. The Bills are in for a whipping boy season. Good luck getting Andrew Luck in the draft!

BALTIMORE (-11) over Cleveland

I just don't see how Cleveland moves the ball against the Baltimore defense. And this could definitely be the week that Joe Flacco puts it together for the first time this season. The Browns are very much like the Bills. They stink.

Pittsburgh (-2.5) over TAMPA BAY

Pittsburgh's defense was other-worldly against Tennessee. Troy Polamalu might be the single most valuable player in the NFL. Not Peyton Manning, not Drew Brees or Tom Brady, Troy Polamalu. He is the most important player on a defense that can shut you DOWN. Tampa has been impressive through two games, but they get their first big test of the season, and I think they fail, miserably.

CAROLINA (+3.5) over Cincinnati

This is a tough one for me. I think Cincinnati stinks, but Carolina has PROVEN that they do. I'm only taking them because they are getting points at home, and they need to win. I'm not confident at all.

NEW ORLEANS (-3.5) over Atlanta

Boy, Atlanta sure looked good against Arizona last week. But lets face it, Arizona is awful. New Orleans is not. Drew Brees, at home, against Matt Ryan and a banged up Michael Turner. I have to take the favorite.

KANSAS CITY (+2.5) over San Francisco

I've really got no idea. San Francisco is my mortal gambling enemy. No matter what I say they will do, they do the opposite. So I will pick Kansas City here, in hopes that the Niners win, and help out my over/under season bet on them. But somehow I'm sure it will blow up in my face. I hate you San Francisco.

HOUSTON (-2.5) over Dallas

Houston is going to not only prove that it is the best team in Texas, it is also going to end Jerry Jones bid for a home Super Bowl, and end Wade Phillips tenure as head coach of the Cowboys. The Texans are tough to beat. And the NFC East, is pretty bad, which is a big surprise to just about everyone.

Washington (-4.5) over ST. LOUIS

Speaking of the bad NFC East, are the Redskins the best team in it? I can't bring myself to say they are. I just can't do it, not yet anyway. But they are definitely above the level of being a bad football team, so they really should handle the Rams pretty easily.

Philadelphia (-3) over JACKSONVILLE

I don't like this Michael Vick experiment in Philly, but I do think it will get them past Jacksonville. I just don't understand how Kevin Kolb goes from being the guy to being the other guy after one half of football and an injury. I think Vick has yet to show why he was never all that successful before he went to prison, but he will soon enough. I just don't think Jacksonville is good enough to be the team to expose him.

Indianapolis (-6) over DENVER

With no Moreno, that leaves Denver with Correll Buckhalter and Lawrence Maroney in the backfield. You beat the Colts by running the ball relentlessly on them. Denver has two bad running backs. This should be more than easy for the Colts. The only reason this line isn't above 7 is the Denver home field advantage, and although it is one of the better fields in the league, it won't be enough to stop the Colts.

SEATTLE (+4.5) over San Diego

Seattle is an entirely different team at home, as they showed in weeks one and two. I think San Diego is not quite as good as they used to be, and they are without starting running back Ryan Mathews. I think they get hit in the mouth here by a hungry Seattle team. Take the points.

New York Jets (+2.5) over MIAMI

Both teams are strong, but even without Revis the Jets will be very good at stopping Miami (a primarily ground attack team). I just don't see any team that can start running away with this division, and its just one of those classic upset type games. The Jets may be down an elite corner, and their number one receiver, but I just think they win this game. Call it a gut feeling, just like I had with them last week, and that worked out very well.

First Runner Up Lock of the Week

Oakland (+4.5)
over ARIZONA

I don't get it. Don't get it one bit. What has Arizona done to show anyone that they have even a shred of hope this season? I am shocked by this line. I'd have the Raiders favored by 4.5 if I were setting the line. Getting points is a gift.

Second Runner Up Lock of the Week

Green Bay (-3) over CHICAGO

The Packers are not the Dallas Cowboys. Get ready for a rude awakening Chicago, you are not as good as you have played so far. I expect a rough day for Jay Cutler and his Bears. Packers shine in this Monday night contest between the sport's oldest rivals.

Lock of the Week

Detroit (+12) over MINNESOTA

Has Vegas not watched the first two weeks? These are two teams they have been way too slow to adjust their lines on. The Lions have proven they can cover a spread, and I'm riding that train. Brett Favre has shown that he is old, out of practice, and missing his number one weapon. I'll DEFINITELY take the 12 points.

Last Week: 10-5-1
Season: 18-10-4
Lock Picks: 3-2-1

No comments:

Post a Comment