Sunday, January 23, 2011

Championship Round

I went 2-2 again last week, and lost one of my Super Bowl teams with the utter collapse of the Baltimore Ravens. At least I can still cling to the Packers...

Green Bay (-3.5) over CHICAGO

And of course, I am going to pick them here. Aaron Rodgers is at the top of his game, perhaps at the top of the entire league, and the Bears CAN be passed on. The Packers are a better team, on both offense and on defense. The Bears will try and throw the kitchen sink at Rodgers with blitzes but I think the talent wins out here. Cutler on the other side is good for at least one interception, and Green Bay will capitalize. This game has to be extremely low scoring for Chicago to have a chance, and I just think Green Bay is playing so well right now that they will not be stopped. Don't forget how good that Green Bay secondary is and how difficult it will be for Chicago to get anything going through the air. They can hope that Forte goes off for a huge game, but its hard for me to see it, because Green Bay will surely be expecting this. I don't think the game stays all that close, the match-up problems are just too scary for Chicago.

New York Jets (+3.5) over PITTSBURGH

Speaking of match-up problems, the Steelers are full of them! I don't see how they can score on this Jets team, who will be able to shut down their top wideouts man to man, quite like they did with the Patriots, daring them to beat them inside. Sure the Steelers may be able to get Mendenhall going, but that can only account for so much. With a deteriorated offensive line, The pass rush should give Roethlisberger fits, and if he can't get going, the steelers can't win. They are very even teams but the Jets have a little edge as they are healthier, peaking at the right time, extremely confident, and the Steelers don't have the secondary of the Jets, especially with Polamalu banged up as he has been for weeks. I see the Jets winning this one straight up.

So there you have it. I'm predicting a Jets/Packers Super Bowl. Frankly the Packers are my last remaining hope of anything good coming out of this football season, so here's to hoping Rodgers continues his steady ascent to the top of today's NFL.

No comments:

Post a Comment