Thursday, January 6, 2011

Wild Card Weekend

We're finally here, playoff time! Lucky for me, I'm hitting my stride picking games (22-10 over the last two weeks, finishing with a record of 130-104-6). Unlucky for me, I didn't get the chance to bet on the games the past two weeks. Sigh, such is the life of a gambler. Have to play the playoff games though. And along with my picks for Wild Card Weekend, I'll tell you who I like to win the whole shebang.

as always, lines courtesy of sportsbetting.com
Home team in CAPS


Game 1, 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time, Saturday


New Orleans (-10.5) over SEATTLE

Seattle obviously has no business being in the playoffs. This is basically a bye week for the Saints. I ask myself what it would take for me to actually consider taking the Seahawks in this match-up? what would the spread have to be. To be honest, I think it would have to be 17.5. That's how much it would have to be. The Saints will crush this team. So I'm going to take this Saints team to cover the 10.5.

Game 2, 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Saturday

INDIANAPOLIS (-3) over New York Jets

In Peyton I trust. even with a banged up team, I just can't bet against him. He's a legend, and deservedly so. The Jets are hobbling into the playoffs and I just don't think they are good enough to beat the Colts. The Colts play fantastic at home in the playoffs and you don't bet against Manning in prime time. I'm taking the favorite.

Game 3, 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Sunday

Baltimore (-3) over KANSAS CITY

I love this Baltimore team and I am not sold on the Chiefs, especially after week 17. If the Raiders can blow this Chiefs team out, what can the Ravens do? Cassel has no playoff experience, and neither do most of the rest of the Kansas City Chiefs. The Ravens however have experience and talent at all the right positions. They have done it before and are ready to make a serious title run. I've loved them all year and I'm not swaying now.

Game 4, 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time, Sunday

Green Bay (+3) over PHILADELPHIA

This is definitely the most intriguing game of the four, and also the most difficult to pick. Both teams have great quarterbacks, both teams have dynamic wide receivers, and they both can play a little defense. I'm taking Green Bay because of a couple reasons. I picked them to win the Super Bowl and I will ride them until they are eliminated, so thats first and foremost. But I'd also take Aaron Rodgers over Michael Vick at this stage. Vick can do a lot of things, but the Vikings showed a blueprint of how to beat him. I can't wait to watch this one, and I will be on the edge of my seat, but ultimately I think the Packers will prevail.

So that is how I see the first round breaking down. As for what will happen after that, here's what I see:

Round 2

NFC

New Orleans over Chicago
Green Bay over Atlanta

AFC
Baltimore over New England
Pittsburgh over Indianapolis

NFC Championship
Green Bay over New Orleans

AFC Championship
Baltimore over Pittsburgh

SUPER BOWL
Baltimore over Green Bay

So as you can see, I can't deviate from the two teams I picked to make the Super Bowl until they are officially knocked off. I still think they can both do it, are peaking at the right time, and have as good a shot as any team, so why not stick to my guns. However, I picked the Packers to win at the beginning of the year, and I have switched sides this time around, predicting that it is Baltimore that will come home with the crown this year. The injuries Green Bay has suffered are just to much to overcome a Ravens team that just has no holes on offense or defense.

Good luck everyone, and enjoy the playoffs!

No comments:

Post a Comment