Thursday, April 2, 2009

Film Review: Mosters Vs. Aliens

It had been quite a while since I had seen my last film in Real D 3D (Beowulf) and having absolutely loved the experience the first time (the 3D effects were a whole lot better than the film itself) I was sufficiently excited for Monsters vs. Aliens in 3D. The film looked absolutely hilarious and with that cast, I was sure to be there.


This time around, the experience had the opposite effect on me. I felt that the film itself was a lot better that the 3D effects (which is NOT a bad thing). I felt for this film the 3D was used much more to just add depth to the film, and it would have worked nearly the same in 2 dimensions. Obviously, this is what the film-makers were going for, which is why I say it is not a bad thing. There were a few “things popping out at you” moments but it was nothing like Beowulf, so I was slightly disappointed in that regard. However, I feel like they focused a lot more on actually making the film good than using the 3D gimmick to draw the crowd.


The film itself did not disappoint at all. I loved it. I thought it was absolutely hilarious. It was definitely one of Dreamworks’ best efforts so far. Seth Rogen completely steals the show. B.O.B is one of the most hilarious characters from an animated film in recent memory. Without him, the film would have felt empty, with him, it shines. Seth Rogen has risen to the top of comedic actors working today, and I really don’t see who is there to compete with him.


The other cast members were great as well. Reese Witherspoon does a great job of basically playing herself, only in 50 foot gigantic woman form. Hugh Laurie is great as always as Dr. Cockroach Ph.D. However, the other character that had me rolling was General W.R. Monger, brilliantly cast with the voice of Jack Bauer himself, Kiefer Sutherland. And I can not forget about the gigantic yet adorable Insectosaurus.


There were so many laugh out loud funny moments in the film and it works for kids and adults alike. With references to films such as Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Spaceballs, there is hardly a dull moment. My only criticism with the film is that the pacing moved along so well for the first hour and ten minutes or so, and they felt like they needed to wrap it all up in 20 minutes, which I felt hurt the film a little bit. Damn kids and their diminishing attention spans!


The film has something for everybody. I have heard many criticisms that Gallaxhar (Rainn Wilson) was an awful villain. Ok, I understand that point of view, but my response: so what? This is, essentially, a kids movie. Who needs Darth Vader?


I absolutely recommend this film. If you have kids, take them along, as you will both surely enjoy it. You will both be laughing, and watch as Seth Rogen’s star power continues to rise. I give Monsters vs. Aliens a very well deserved 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment