Saturday, April 11, 2009

MLB Preview 09: About a week late

Again, been really busy lately. But I am here to bring you my one week in preview of the Major League Baseball season. Here we go.

I'll start with the National League:

NL East

This division hosts the defending champion Phillies and they will be back again. However, with the Mets improved bullpen and loaded lineup, I think they will be able to avoid the late season collapse this year and will come out on top of this division. Look out for the Braves to contend if their bullpen can hold up, although that probably won't happen.

NL Central:

Not a difficult division to call. The Cubs look to be the far and away favorite here and they deserve it. A lot of factors would have to go right for any team in this division to knock them off. The Cardinals have pitching and bullpen question marks. The Astros have no depth behind Oswalt. I actually think the Reds are going to provide the biggest challenge in this league. But the Cubs really shouldn't be challenged.

NL West:

Question marks all over this league. It is the weakest in baseball, and that usually means that anyone could take it. I think in the end it will come down to two teams, the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks. It all depends on the pitching. If Webb and Scherzer can be healthy, they will be formidable. I like their young lineup and they should contend. However, I am giving it to the Dodgers. Their lineup is stacked throughout and if they can get the year that everyone seems to expect out of Billingsly and Kershaw, they should take the west.

NL Wild Card:

I am giving the Wild Card to the Phillies. They didn't lose much and added Raul Ibanez. I think they come up short in the division, but get into the playoffs via the wild card.

On to the American League.

AL East:

The division with arguably the best three teams in baseball. The Rays, Red Sox and revamped Yankees will all contend, obviously. I am calling a Rays repeat in the division. I think they will actually be even better than last year. Longoria for a full year, Upton fully healthy, pitching depth. This team will be tough for anyone to beat. Of course I want to say the Red Sox, but I think they have too many "what ifs." They will be very good, but I do not believe they will win the division. The Yankees spent all kinds of money this off-season and they will prove once again that it is not a collection of superstar overpaid players that win a championship. I don't know why they haven't learned to go back to their late 90's tactics, but I am not complaining. I expect another third place finish.

AL Central:

The most interesting division in baseball. Anyone can win. I don't see a single great team, just a bunch of mediocre ones. That is why I am going to go out on a bit of a limb and say that the Kansas City Royals will make a Tampa Bay-esque run at the division and come out on top. They have a very strong young ball club. Good pitching, an excellent closer. I think that the White Sox will finish second and be their biggest threat, and the Indians are the most over-rated team of the year. Their pitching will kill them when Cliff Lee falls off this season.

AL West:

The Angels should be able to take this division again. They are the most balanced and experienced team. If Texas had anything that resembled a pitching staff they would pose a serious challenge with that lineup, but they don't, so I think the angels roll, once again.

AL Wild Card:
I am giving the wild card in the AL to the Red Sox. They may not beat the Rays, but they will be better than all the other teams in the American League. They hold off the Yankees and White Sox and get into the playoffs.

NL playoffs:

Mets over Dodgers
Cubs over Phillies

Mets over Cubs

AL playoffs:

Rays over Royals
Red Sox over Angels

Rays over Red Sox

World Series:

Mets over Rays

I think the Rays will get back to the World Series but this time, they will lose to the Mets. I think that team has everything going for it. I think their pitching staff has just enough to get them by. They have the best lineup in the league. Reyes, Wright, Beltran, Delgado, this team can crush the ball. Rookie Daniel Murphy will have a good year and even Gary Sheffield will have an impact. The Bullpen will be the biggest factor however. If they get to the 7th inning with a lead this season, they won't be blowing it like they have in the past.

Should be a great season and I can't wait o see how it unfolds!

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment