Wednesday, October 7, 2009

MLB Playoff Preview

Baseball's post season is finally upon us! Maybe I can redeem my preseason picks here, by picking who will win out of the teams that actually got there.

Phillies vs Rockies
I have to take the defending champs in this one. They hold a strong advantage in pitching with Lee, Hamels and J.A. Happ. I think this could be a sweep. There is too much going for the Phillies. I do like this Rockies team, but I can't see them keeping Chase Utley and Ryan Howard at bay.

St. Louis Cardinals vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
The Dodgers have fallen apart at the end of this season and they just won't be a match for the mighty Cardinals hurlers. The Dodgers might also get swept here. Carpenter and Wainwright have been unhittable. They are the biggest strength of any playoff team. The Dodgers just aren't ready to go very far in this year's playoffs.

Yankees vs. Twins
I know a lot of people are predicting a sweep after the Twins could barely scrape by in an outstanding extra innings game last night against the Tigers. I'm not so sure however. I think the Twins will give them a series. They have so much momentum in their favor and the Yankees might get caught napping. It will all depend on C.C Sabathia. He hasn't had the best playoff track record and he will need to pitch two strong games for the Yankees to win this series. I think the Yankees take it in 5.

Red Sox vs. Angels
The Red Sox have had the Angels number. Anaheim can not seem to beat them in the post season. However, that is not why I am picking the Red Sox to win this series. That will come from the pitching of Jon Lester and Josh Beckett. They are the two best pitchers in this series, and the Sox will be tough to beat with them. Combine that with a great bullpen and just about even offenses, the Sox shouldn't struggle to eliminate the Angels once again.

NLCS
Phillies vs. Cardinals
This would be a hell of a series. I really do hope it happens because I would be riveted for every single game. I see it going 7 with the Phillies taking it and going back to the world series. I just think the bats are a little better and the pitching will hang. But it really could be either team. I do believe that whichever team wins this series is going to be very tough to beat in the World Series.

ALCS
Yankees vs. Red Sox
And here we go again. Another heart attack series for the Sox and the Yanks. They always play each other tough when everything is on the line, and we all know what happened in 2004, but here, as much as I hate to say it, I think the Yankees are poised to knock them off. The bats are too strong. I would love to see the Red Sox beat them again, but it will be really difficult, they will need Clay Buchholz and Daisuke Matsuzaka to come through and I don't know how well they will do. The key factor here is home field advantage, as the Sox have just not done well in Yankee Stadium this season. If they played 4 in Fenway, I'd give them the edge, but I have to move the Yankee Juggernaut on to face the Phillies.

World Series
Phillies vs. Yankees
I think the Phillies have what it takes to repeat. They are the most complete team on both offense and pitching. I know the bullpen has struggled at the back end but I just can't see that being the deciding factor. Cole Hamels is going to prove what a big game pitcher he is and the Phillies will go back to back. The only team I can see knocking them off is the Cardinals, and like I mentioned, either one of those teams could win the World Series. Look for another championship from the National League, no matter how bad they are as a whole, the teams at the top can really play.

No comments:

Post a Comment